Re: [FWDLK] L-FORWARDLOOK Digest - 29 Jan 2008 to 31 Jan 2008 (#2008-31)

Re: [FWDLK] L-FORWARDLOOK Digest - 29 Jan 2008 to 31 Jan 2008 (#2008-31)....Kiekaefer Dodges V 300s

I'm not going to try to say that K.'s 500's & 300's never competed against each other, on the same track, but, just opening my "40 Years of Stock Car Racing" (Vol 1), I see that on 1/22/56, @ the AZ State Fairgrounds, on a ONE-mile dirt track, the first three winners (of three, entered by K.) were all in 300's.

No K. 500's were entered.

For the Daytona Beach 500 mile race, K. entered the winning 300 (Tim Flock), and a 500 placed in 10th spot.

K. had two 300's that finished in 19th & 20th

A 300 finished in 43rd, and the second 500 finished in 71st (out of 72 entries).

Neil Vedder

Owen Grigg wrote:
According to my NASCAR records Kiekhaefer Dodges and 300's were racing
against each other throughout the '56 season. I don't believe Kiekhaefer
cared either way whether the Dodge or the Chrysler came in first as long as
it had HIS name on the side. The Dodges were strong on the 1/2 mile tracks,
the 300's recorded wins on just about all distances but were very strong on
the longer 1 mile tracks.

Interesting to note the driver points standing at the end of the '56
season...

# 1 Buck Baker 300B
# 2 Herb Thomas '56 Chev (interestingly I can't see him winning a race but
was consistently in 4th or 5th place)
# 3 Speedy Thompson he alternated between a 300B and a Dodge.
# 4 Lee Petty Dodge

Owen