Re: [FWDLK] What is the secret to changing oil filters on 331 and 354 He

Re: [FWDLK] What is the secret to changing oil filters on 331 and 354 Hemis ('55 & '56Nyers)

Jim, the fenders may be taller, and  wider on the pre-1957 models, but
for the past 27-ish years that I've owned my '57 Dodge, I've never
encountered any difficulties in changing my car's oil filters, although
there is not enough clearance to remove the filter's outer case,
between  the Hemi valve cover, and the inner fender.

I just lay-over the outer case, between the inner fender and the frame
rail, while I slip out/on the oil filter.

Although new gaskets are provided with the filters, I usually just give
the 'old' one a brief exam, and if it's undamaged (it always is) , I
just put it back in place & screw-down the outer case. The gasket never
moves out of place, as the outer case gets screwed down, onto it.

Easy simple and efficient;  but,  I guess that I might have to use a
step-stool to change the oil, if I had your car.

When I'm too infirm to change my car's oil, I'll quit driving, because
for the 57's+, it's no big deal to change the oil filter.

Neil Vedder