Re: [FWDLK] Judging Amy (or Bonnie, or Nadine or Horace, or Bertha).....

Re: [FWDLK] Judging Amy (or Bonnie, or Nadine or Horace, or Bertha).....

I am familiar with and like the "Day Two" judging concept and support the idea.

Of several clubs I belong to, I believe by far the most successful at being inclusive of all interests from strictly stock to radically modified is the Studebaker Driver's Club with classes for all and membership numbers and publication quality that supports this.  Now to me a great deal of their success is going to prove out long term because they have scores of younger people interested in their cars as customs and drag race cars and even the Mexican Road Race revival.  Quite honestly, I think any collector car organization that doesn't do this or something related is going to be in imminent future trouble as those of us who knew the cars of fifty years ago as new on the showroom floor become unable to participate in events and maintain the cars.

On the other side of maintaining a balance is the hobby over time has proven that absolute authenticity always maintains high value.  Any modification from factory stock is unquestionably a subjective decision and many cars have been discarded because of poor decisions.  Thus a club like the 300 International, which is fortunate to have documentation of factory originality also serves a tremendous purpose.

Personally I walk both sides of this balance.  I've authored restoration handbooks for all '32-38 Terraplanes, the '57 DeSoto Adventurer, and the 300C.  The books are about factory authenticity.  Their intent is as a starting point for a decision as to what to do as an owner.  Show points judging restoration should be the default position of the owner to maintain intrinsic value.  But some of the most revered collector cars are those that the factory modified into concepts, race cars and limited production options.  And owners modified even 300 Letter Cars both at the dealership and soon afterwards.  Personalization to our individual taste and desire is difficult to challenge - after all it is our money.  The rub on changes comes about when particularly rare and historical vehicles are altered.  The 300 Int'l would argue that every letter car is rare and historical compared to any '55-61 Chevrolet and they would be absolutely right.

Wayne