Re: [FWDLK] Speedometer gears

Jim, when I put in my car's former 3.55:1 Sure Grip, and with its then
smaller-than-OEM sized tires, the car's odo was about 19% (IIRC) too
fast (as observed, driving past mile markers).

Dave Homstad told me about a company that makes/sells odometer
'Gizmos',  which  are a small self conatined object, that inserts
between the end of the speedo cable, and the transmission- and  which
adjusts the cable speed to the OEM  odometer specs.

After I replaced the 3.55 with the OEM 3.36 gearset (the 3.55 was
'noisy', got a lot worse highway mileage--like about 10-11--and had only
marginally better performance) ,  installed Diamondback radials, which
are virtually the correct height, and removed the Gizmo, the odometer
began recording  scarily-accurate readings, like within about 1% +/- .

Now, since I've got a 2.76 gears installed, I  find that the odo is
about 13% too slow; the speedo is way too slow, too.

So, if I ever get off my duff, I gotta go get another Gizmo.

BTW, I recall that, when I ordered my Gizmo (you have to tell them the %
of adjustment you need to have them to dial-in to it), you have to tell
them that the trannie-end-fit is the same  as a that for a "Chebbie".

I just can't remember where I bought that Gizmo!---think that they were
in one of the  Frozen Tundra states.

Neil Vedder