Re: [FWDLK] 1955 wire wheels information

Re: [FWDLK] 1955 wire wheels information

Depends and depends.

If the spoke mounting area of the wheels has been perfectly well sealed with epoxy or equivalent then it might be possible to get by without tubes.  If you have any doubt, run tubes.  If there is nothing over the spoke ends currently, at least wrap the whole area with multiple layers of duct tape.  Originally there was a wide rubber band boot covering those wire ends and that was what protected the tube from chafing and blowing out.
If you are going to not disassemble the wheels for plating and have them done at one of the extremely few first class wire wheel shops left in the country, then don't waste your money on plating them as is because it may not even last one year.  Just go out and buy a set of the reproduction wheels.  If you do replate and rebuild yours after disassembly, you will spend hundreds of dollars more than the reproductions.
Or you could have your wheels sandblasted and either paint them argent which was a Plymouth and Dodge option, or have them powder coated in the faux chrome.  I haven't seen the faux chrome on old Motor Wheel wire wheels yet but I think it could be a low cost alternative to proper replating or the reproductions.

I know someone is going to say Mopar offered body colored wire wheels and I totally disagree.  I grew up in the era the wires were offered new on Mopars and other brands.  They were ALL either chrome or argent silver.

Wayne G