Re: [FWDLK] Carter Carb - REBUILDING info 4u...

Re: [FWDLK] Carter Carb - REBUILDING info 4u...

While on this subject - I just received a shiny "new" Autolite 4100 re-manufactured by Pony Carburetors.  My understanding is that they started out doing Mustang carbs, but have branched out a bit over the years.  Not only do they rebuild, but they "re-engineer" to correct common/typical problems inherent in certain carburetors - flat spots, hesitation, etc.

ANYWAY, they do Carter AFBs as well as Ford stuff.  They offer mechanical-only rebuilding that includes cleaning and some finish stripping/painting or whatever, oas well as "Concours quality" with new correct plating of the various components.  The carb I just received is Beeeyoootiful, and is working very well on the '66 Galaxie (no more hesitation, and no  more hard-starting when hot!)  They give you a DVD on how to properly remove/reinstall the carb, as well as timing, idle mixture, chooke adjustments, etc.

As of right now, I recommend them, if you care to spend $400+ on a carb, that is...(yes, I SPLURGED because I was tired of trying to rebuild these things myself, and have never been happy with the local carb shops)

http://www.ponycarburetors.com

Regards,
Lou

Wayne Graefen wrote:
In the ForwardLook forums the availability of reproduction Carter brass carb tags has been under discussion.   I've found one source doing them.  Chicago Corvette Supply @ 708-458-2500.  Go through their computer phone options until you get the number for "carburetor parts".  Ask for Al.  His direct email is  mztercarb@xxxxxxx .

I just ordered tags for my 300C carbs.  They were $31.05 each and I was told I would have them in about 10 days.  I specified the date code as I know what date my car was built.  He took a credit card.

Al will make any tag you desire:  just provide the info of carb number and build date.  He also has hundreds of original tags and hundreds of carburetors.

If you care to read the FL thread it is here:  http://tinyurl.com/6lftkd