Re: [FWDLK] So Many Carbs...

In a message dated 5/15/2008 8:46:32 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, ronbo97@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Does anyone have a reasonable explanation as to why there are soooooo many
Stromberg and Carter 2bbl carbs listed for 57-9 Mopars ? For example, there
seems to be a different carb for each engine/tranny combo for each year for
each make. Will it really make a difference if you put a rebuilt 59 Plymouth
Stromberg 2bbl on a 57 Plymouth (except in terms of restoration accuracy) ?

Also, when rebuilding, how in the world are you supposed to adjust something
accurately to a 32nd of an inch or even a 64th of an inch ?

Ron
We used to drive and adjust each model of car with each engine size and type, to be as sure as we could be that they would all function properly (Cold start, warmup, driveability, etc.) in all conditions.  Thus, each engine would have a unique carburetor number.  That being said, you could usually put almost any carburetor on any engine, if you were prepared to accept some compromises in performance.  The wide open throttle power jet sizes were determined by dynamometer runs of the engine.  We then adjusted the road load mixture by the seat of our pants, literally!

Adjusting things with 1/64" or 1/32" is easy with a little practice and patience.

Joe Savard
Lake Orion, Michigan
Former test driver, Chrysler Carburetor Lab.