To: <L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 5:27 PM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] Miss Belvie's battery..

So, the question then becomes: did the astute dealership, REALIZING that the car would not see the light-of-day for .5century, say : "HEY, why am I gong to lose-out on installing a perfectly-good MoPar battery in this non-Dodge (ahem), when I could just install some nasty generic battery, that can't-hardly hold a charge, in this poor thing?"

"Who'll care, 50 years from now?  Not me! "

Neil Vedder

Mark H wrote:
This is one detail I actually paid pretty close attention to in Tulsa. A coupla years ago I bought one of those Ultima batteries for Mr. Finzzz and one of those plastic repro battery cases that supposedly look like the actual batteries from the fifties, so you can fool the car show people into thinking you have a real fifties battery (right!). Anyway, one of the nights when our small group of vandals broke in and took pictures with Miss B and the security guards at the indoor car show, I was curious as to whether my repop battery case looked like a REAL original, so I peeked into the engine compartment to look at Miss B's battery. I moved it around a little - and saw no logos anywhere. I spun off one of the plastic filler lids (I found actual real Mopar lids for use on the repop plastic - adds to the authenticity!) and was surprised to see no names or logos on it either! It made me question whether the Mopar filler lids I have were true to the cars, or some sort of battery accessory - you wouldn't think they would've put many dealer add-on accesories to the car they were going to bury . . . .
 Mark   mjh
'57 Fury
Sutherlin, OR

*/Jan & Roger van Hoy <vanhilla@xxxxxxxxxxxx>/* wrote:

    I sincerely doubt that Pic #3 is the identical replacement battery
    for a '57
    Dodge or Plymouth. Why?

    [1] The curved "m" emblem for MoPar wasn't used until later.

    [2] The book from which you took the photo says Pic #1 for 1956-58
    Chrysler
    Prod.

    [3] My 1955-58 Parts Book already has a superceded number for the
    1956-58
    Dodge/Plymouth/DeSoto 50 amp battery, 1818959 [wet] and 1818932
    [dry].
    That, coincidentally, is the number for the 1956-58 Chrysler 50
    amp battery.
    In other words, replacement # does not match original #.

    In addition to the parts book, I looked thru my '58 DeSoto and '56
    Plymouth
    FSM's; the battery pix are the same as the Parts book, none of
    which show
    the label.

    So, for those who strive for absolute authenticity...
    fughettabouttit !!!
    Or maybe buy one of the #1 batteries from Neil's vendor pic.

    --Roger van Hoy, Washougal, WA, '55 DeSoto, '58 DeSoto, '56
    Plymouth, '66
    Plymouth, '41 Dodge