Re: [FWDLK] Setting Timing -- The easy way....

Re: [FWDLK] Setting Timing -- The easy way....

Hi all:

In the absence of a timing light, I idle the engine way down until it is barely running.  I retard the timing until the engine is just about to shut off and mark the location.  Next, I advance the timing until the engine wants to shut off and mark that position.  I split the difference, set the distributor there and return the engine rpm to normal idle.  Seldom am off more than a degree and as Jim stated, my engines purr.  Been doing this since I had a VW Bug in the late 70's.

Dan Reitz
Northridge, CA
300F
1966 300 Vert.
1956 Dodge CR
1976 Chrysler NYer Brougham (Anyone interested in buying this car?)