Sent: Sunday, July 06, 2008 5:51 PM
Subject: [FWDLK] 2speed to 3speed pushbutton problem

Some 3 weeks ago I posted asking help with a pushbutton shifting problem encountered when I changed my '59 Dodge from a Powerflite to a Torqueflite.

A number of you were kind enough to sit down and write with your suggestions, all of which were looked into in one way shape form or another.  I greatly appreciate all of you.

Problem SOLVED: the answer was in removing the Imperial Services (IS) reproduction shift cable and putting a decent original back in the car.  The IS cable has an oversize outer protective sleeve compared to stock which was allowing internal slack over the range of the cable movement so that no amount of adjustment would allow all detents to be engaged.

In fairness to IS, this cable was ordered some 4 or so years ago so they may have been made aware of the problem and current manufactured cables may work just fine but if you are ordering one from them, I would certainly discuss this issue with them.

Thanks again,
Wayne G