Re: [FWDLK] Fwd: Re: [FWDLK] hose clamps worth doing

I have many cars with the original clamps still in use and have a bin of used in the basement to use when restoring cars.  May have had one or two break over 30 year period.   As long as you have the correct size clamp and soft hose they will seal as far as I have seen.
----- Original Message -----
From: John Teske
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2008 8:54 AM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] Fwd: Re: [FWDLK] hose clamps worth doing

Folks:

     When I was restoring my 56 Fury, I gathered a bucket of fastners, fittings, mechanisms etc., and had them plated with zinc dichromate.  They all have a nice gold corrosion resistant finish in keeping with the gold side panels and wheel covers.  Really looks nice.  By the way, I had about 50 pounds of the stuff.

     However, any spring in the batch broke after plating and upon flexing.  That included nearly all the Corbin hose clamps.  I later researched the problem and found that plating will harden and make springs brittle.  Therefore, don't plate anything with a spring in it.

     John Teske