Re: [FWDLK] Fwd: A tire safety issue worth watching - video

Re: [FWDLK] Fwd: A tire safety issue worth watching - video

Jason, it was good to see a post from you, mentioning the Belvedere. I thought you sold it. Really nice car. Is your website still up?

The Firestone/Ford was as you described, a Fiasco. The biggest problem was that Ford was blaming Firestone instead of redesigning their suspension. When tests showed that the Explorer was not able to pass the rollover test with the tires at suggested 35psi, Ford pressured Firestone to allow a minimum of 26psi, and when the tires ran at that lower pressure, the car could pass the tests. But at highway speeds, especially sustained interstate speeds, the tires would get overheated and explode. Firestone blamed union troubles, Ford blamed Firestone, and the problem was deceit among the Firestone and Ford representatives, trying to cover-up an obvious problem.
Not unusual.

b/t/w...
I am sorry that I used the F--- word so much in this diatribe.

Mike Higgins
1955 Belvedere Sport Coupe