Re: [FWDLK] Fwd: A tire safety issue

Food for thought:

I've had a tire go flat suddenly due to a puncture on a full sized early 60s Chrysler - so I pulled over & changed it.  No crazy, out of control manuevers resulted. [Forwardlook content]

Sometime in the 1980s, at 70 MPH, I had a wire-wheel spoke puncture an inner tube on a 1962 Morgan Plus 4, and the tire went flat instantly - I calmly pulled over to the shoulder and changed the tire.  No dramatics.

Ditto with a 1977 Mercedes - but the pretty-looking unused 17-year-old Michelin spare I had put on only the day before had catastropic failure due to tread separation.   The car was still pretty controllable, and I stayed in my travel lane until I could pull over onto the breakdown lane.

Finally, I had a rapid leak in one of the four Michelin tires mounted on a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport (two-door) due to a nail.  The steering felt twitchier than normal for a brief moment, and about the same time, I had to make a sudden lane change at 65 MPH on I-95 - and nearly lost control of the vehicle - I weaved across three lanes of traffic before I got it back under control, thankfully, not causing any accidents.   When I checked the pressure,and the tire was visibly low, it had about 15PSI and was still hissing due to the puncture.  I believe that no matter what brand of tire was on it, it was the vehicle's suspension that was the cause of the out-of-control situation.

Relatively long wheelbase, low vehicle = stable

Relatively short wheelbase, tall vehicle = unstable

My two cents' worth.

John Spiers

Lake Worth, Florida