Re: [FWDLK] 1955 headliner wrinkles

In a message dated 8/3/2008 6:16:48 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, vanhilla@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Im just finishing up installing a new headliner in my 1955 new yorker  4
> door sedan { was damaged by mice about 6 years ago. }   going in  great
> but I want to remove the last of the wrinkles that do not come  out.   I
> was told many year ago that you can steam them out. ??
Steam is the process that was originally used in the assembly plants. I watched them do it back in the 60s...The operator would install the listing wires into the roof rails and then pull the cloth over the hook strips all around the car.  Then the next operator would come in and use a steam wand and the cloth would shrink in a few minutes...really quick.  The one time I did this during restoration of my '33 Plymouth I used a rented wall paper steamer. Maybe others have another recommendation for getting steam to the cloth. I agree..you don't want to soak it....  Marv