Re: [FWDLK] hemi removal

Hello all, I am removing a 331 Hemi out of a 55 New Yorker. Motor and trans as one unit. This is the first time I have done this in years.
So any tips or procedures out of the FSM or from your own wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
Also need to pull the power brake booster and ped....

postscript if anyone near Minneapolis that would like to help me with the project would be repaid with cash and pizza!
I have all the tools and and engine hoist ready to go...

   Beer and pizza sounds great, but I am afraid the distance between us is just too far !

   So, how about an off-the-cuff rundown on engine pulling ?

   1.  Put car on lift, or jack stands so work can be done from underneath.  Release parking brake and place trans shifter in Neutral.  This allows driveshaft to spin freely. Remove the four nuts from trunnion joint at back of tranny, leaving the trunnion hanging on the p-brake studs.  If these nuts are stuck or sticky, spin driveshaft to expose 2 and set p-brake and try that way, then release and spin 180 to get the other 2.  I believe these are 9/16 ? Next, using similar tactics, remove U-bolts from drive shaft at rear (7/16) and remove driveshaft from 3rd member input yoke.  This is sometimes too tight to drop freely.  If so, tie it up against the exhaust system or handy points and return to front and pull trunnion back enough to clear studs and drop this end.  The rear will now be free and driveshaft can be removed from car.

  2.  While under car, remove exhaust flange bolts from manifold connection,  ..... I am unsure what 55 motor mounts look like, but these need to be unbolted to freely clear any obstructions.  A jack should be placed under the trans with a plywood "pad" buffer and used to lift slightly in order to remove trans support from car frame.  Once loose from frame, remove from trans to avoid hangups later.

  3.  I have always preferred pulling cables from under the dash over taking them off the trans.  This would be a little different in a 55 vs. the later cars, so I cannot tell you exactly how these will be attached.

  4.  With the underside now free and disconnected, take the car down off the stands / lift, taking care to lower the trans on the aforementioned jack with reasonable care to avoid tweaking motor mounts.  Once down, disconnect fuel line at frame connection, pull wiring harness (taking note of how it comes off for re-install) and pull carb linkage, removing link from cowl to carb to avoid mashing it when lifting engine later.

  5.  I like to pull the carb and stuff the ports with paper towels for easier access with the lifter and to avoid potentially damaging the carb during the lift process.  Drain the radiator and remove, pulling hoses with radiator. With radiator out of hole for easier access, pull the fan and any extensions.  If warer pump sticks out too far, you can pull it too.  I guess it should be mentioned to remove the battery connections and those out-of-sight wires to the starter, ... oh yeah, and the front appliances - PS pump, generator, etc. Don't forget to look for the engine-to-body ground strap !  These hide somewhere under all the dirt and scunge and the back of a head and attach with a body screw to the cowl, most times on the passenger side under the heater box.  If the heater box is in danger of being crunched, pull it and get it out of the way and safe !

  I will typically pull the hood just to make things easy on myself.  I have a crank-adjustable lifter that bolts to the intake.  This makes tilting for clearance easier.  I will use non-stock LONGER bolts to mount this with.  I had a stock length bolt strip out of the hole one time, dropping the engine in a sideways roll onto the fender - not good - so I always use bolts long enough to get a good ten turns into the hole AFTER going through the lifter bracket.

  I like to put the front of the car back up on jack stands when starting the lift.  This allows the front of the engine to be tilted way up and gives the tranny tailshaft so room to tilt down.  Once clear of the radiator support, the car can be lowered back down and you are home free.

   Hope that helps.

  Enjoy the pizza !  ;-D