Re: [FWDLK] ADVICE ON STEERING GEAR REMOVAL

Re: [FWDLK] ADVICE ON STEERING GEAR REMOVAL

I had to rebuild the coaxial steering gearbox in my '57 DeSoto
Firedome.  I followed the procedure in the shop manual, which said to
take the front seat out, unbolt everything, and remove the whole
column up through the floor access panel and out the driver's door.
A tricky but not impossible job.  As I recall, everything worked
exactly as planned, but you had to remove the brake pedal to get
enough clearance for removal.  I had Power Brake Exchange in
Pittsburgh rebuild my unit and I installed it myself afterward.  I've
been satisfied with everything, but like Neil, watch for the paint
routine.  At least at PBX they ASKED me first if they should paint it
black "like they always do" and I said NO!!!

Ed Petrus