Re: [FWDLK] Very quiet out there!

For perspective, as to the current price of gas, back in the 60's, gasoline was routinely sold for around $0.30/gallon.

Multiply that cost by at least 8-times (and probably 9-times, by now) and you see that you/our parents--thank you very much, Mom & Dad--were paying the equivalvent of $2.40++/gallon day-after-day for cars that were getting 10-15mpg.

Factor in the cost of daily-routine-upkeep maintenance on those cars, which were replaced about every 4-7 years and which purchase price was just about as much, for new cars nowadays, ($30k divided by 8/9 = $2.5-3k, then) and we got NOTHING to complain about, with the service-life cost to operate our modern cars (over 15+ years of ownership).

The reason that our fore-fathers and mothers didn't go ballistic on the cost to operate one or two (never three+) cars was that they didn't "have" to pay for all the amenities (like multiple cell phones and cable TV and "designer"-everything and bigger houses, electronic toys, quad-runners, expensive vacations-- with [multiple] credit card/consumer debt; the list is endless) that are really useless but which "we" seem to think that we can't seem to be able to live without. "They" actually saved-money, with
having, typically, only one bread-winner in the household.

Neil Vedder

ALIENVOICE@xxxxxxx wrote:
*Gas in Northern Ohio is at $1.83. Gotta Love It (or have we all been desensitized by high gas prices to the point that this seems cheap?). Almost time to put the ForwardLook cars away for the winter (hate that word!).

Larry (Akron)*

AOL Search: Your one stop for directions, recipes and all other Holiday needs. Search Now. (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212792382x1200798498/aol?redir=http://searchblog.aol.com/2008/11/04/happy-holidays-from-aol-search/?ncid=emlcntussear00000001)