From: Forward Look Mopar Discussion List
[mailto:L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of L-FORWARDLOOK automatic
digest system
Sent: Sunday, February 08, 2009 10:00 PM
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: L-FORWARDLOOK Digest - 7 Feb 2009 to 8 Feb 2009 (#2009-36)

Topics of the day:

  1. TRANS COOLING LINES (6)

Date:    Sun, 8 Feb 2009 17:00:52 +0000
From:    eddee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: TRANS COOLING LINES

--Boundary_(ID_8WdCbqt27hTdcpDbvvgtzg)

HELLO MEMBERS

A local friend with a 60 PLYM torqueflite has a question.
He installed a new radiator which did not have provisions for the cooling
lines for the trans fluid.

Has anyone just plugged those ports that come out of the transmo.

Other than running a tad warmer I did not think anything would get
internally damaged since the early transmos had no lines???

RSVP
ED ECKERSON
LI  NY

--Boundary_(ID_8WdCbqt27hTdcpDbvvgtzg)

<DIV>HELLO MEMBERS</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>A local friend with a 60 PLYM torqueflite has a question.</DIV>
<DIV>He installed a new radiator which did not have provisions for the
cooling lines for the trans fluid.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Has anyone just plugged those ports that come out of the transmo.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Other than running a tad warmer I did not think anything would get
internally damaged since the early transmos had no lines???</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>RSVP<BR>ED ECKERSON<BR>LI&nbsp; NY</DIV>
options,
please go to <br>

--Boundary_(ID_8WdCbqt27hTdcpDbvvgtzg)--

------------------------------

I would imagine it would be safer to use a transmission cooler.   You
can get a small separate one and mount it in front of the radiator, it
you are not concerned with being completely original.

Example:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CMB%2D13%2D0033&view=1&N=7
00+150+%2D230039+

eddee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> HELLO MEMBERS
>
> A local friend with a 60 PLYM torqueflite has a question.
> He installed a new radiator which did not have provisions for the
> cooling lines for the trans fluid.
>
> Has anyone just plugged those ports that come out of the transmo.
>
> Other than running a tad warmer I did not think anything would get
> internally damaged since the early transmos had no lines???
>
> RSVP
> ED ECKERSON
> LI  NY

------------------------------

True that the earlier trans had no lines, but the bellhousing had
screened vents, and the torque converter has "fins" that move a lot
of air.

------------------------------

Run the lines to a small trans cooler placed in front of the bottom of =
the existing radiator.
Lots of places sell them for additional cooling like for towing =
applications.
=20
Tom S
southern Ohio

________________________________

True that the earlier trans had no lines, but the bellhousing had
screened vents, and the torque converter has "fins" that move a lot
of air.

<HTML dir=3Dltr><HEAD><TITLE>Re: [FWDLK] TRANS COOLING LINES</TITLE>=0A=
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html;
charset=3Dunicode">=0A=
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.6001.18183" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>=0A=
<BODY>=0A=
<DIV id=3DidOWAReplyText201 dir=3Dltr>=0A=
<DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Run the lines =
to a small trans cooler placed in front of the bottom of the existing =
radiator.</FONT></DIV>=0A=
<DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Lots of places sell them for =
additional cooling like for towing applications.</FONT></DIV>=0A=
<DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>=0A=
<DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Tom S</FONT></DIV>=0A=
<DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>southern =
Ohio</FONT></DIV></DIV>=0A=
<DIV dir=3Dltr><BR>=0A=
<HR tabIndex=3D-1>=0A=
<FONT face=3DTahoma size=3D2><B>From:</B> Forward Look Mopar Discussion =
List on behalf of desoto@xxxxxxxxxxx<BR><B>Sent:</B> Sun 2/8/2009 2:02 =
PM<BR><B>To:</B> L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: =
[FWDLK] TRANS COOLING LINES<BR></FONT><BR></DIV>=0A=
<DIV>=0A=
<P><FONT size=3D2>True that the earlier trans had no lines, but the =
bellhousing had<BR>screened vents, and the torque converter has "fins" =
that move a lot<BR>of air.<BR><BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;---- =
Original Message ----<BR>&gt;From: eddee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<BR>&gt;To: =
L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<BR>&gt;Subject: RE: [FWDLK] TRANS COOLING =
LINES<BR>&gt;Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 17:00:52 =
+0000<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;HELLO MEMBERS<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;A local =
friend with a 60 PLYM torqueflite has a question.<BR>&gt;&gt;He =
installed a new radiator which did not have provisions for =
the<BR>&gt;cooling lines for the trans fluid.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;Has =
anyone just plugged those ports that come out of the =
transmo.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;Other than running a tad warmer I did =
not think anything would get<BR>&gt;internally damaged since the early =
transmos had no lines???<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;RSVP<BR>&gt;&gt;ED =
ECKERSON<BR>&gt;&gt;LI&nbsp; =
NY<BR><BR>*************************************************************<B=
R><BR>To unsubscribe or set your subscription options, please go =
to<BR><A =
href=3D"http://lists.psu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=3Dl-forwardlook&amp;A=3D1"=
>http://lists.psu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=3Dl-forwardlook&amp;A=3D1</A><BR>=
</FONT></P></DIV></BODY></HTML>
options,
please go to <br>
http://lists.psu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=3Dl-forwardlook&AMP;A=3D1</a>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C98A4D.C7C99455--

------------------------------

I should have read all the replies before I tossed in my two cents.
=20
Tom S
southern Ohio

________________________________

I would imagine it would be safer to use a transmission cooler.   You
can get a small separate one and mount it in front of the radiator, it
you are not concerned with being completely original.

Example:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=3DCMB%2D13%2D0033&view=3D=
1&N=3D700+150+%2D230039+

eddee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> HELLO MEMBERS
>=20
> A local friend with a 60 PLYM torqueflite has a question.
> He installed a new radiator which did not have provisions for the
> cooling lines for the trans fluid.
>=20
> Has anyone just plugged those ports that come out of the transmo.
>=20
> Other than running a tad warmer I did not think anything would get
> internally damaged since the early transmos had no lines???
>=20
> RSVP
> ED ECKERSON
> LI  NY

------_=_NextPart_001_01C98A4D.FF195976

<HTML dir=3Dltr><HEAD><TITLE>Re: [FWDLK] TRANS COOLING LINES</TITLE>=0A=
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html;
charset=3Dunicode">=0A=
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.6001.18183" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>=0A=
<BODY>=0A=
<DIV id=3DidOWAReplyText12190 dir=3Dltr>=0A=
<DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Sorry, =
Lou.</FONT></DIV>=0A=
<DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I should have read all the =
replies before I tossed in my two cents.</FONT></DIV>=0A=
<DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>=0A=
<DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Tom S</FONT></DIV>=0A=
<DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>southern =
Ohio</FONT></DIV></DIV>=0A=
<DIV dir=3Dltr><BR>=0A=
<HR tabIndex=3D-1>=0A=
<FONT face=3DTahoma size=3D2><B>From:</B> Forward Look Mopar Discussion =
List on behalf of Lou<BR><B>Sent:</B> Sun 2/8/2009 12:15 =
PM<BR><B>To:</B> L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: =
[FWDLK] TRANS COOLING LINES<BR></FONT><BR></DIV>=0A=
<DIV>=0A=
<P><FONT size=3D2>I would imagine it would be safer to use a =
transmission cooler.&nbsp;&nbsp; You<BR>can get a small separate one and =
mount it in front of the radiator, it<BR>you are not concerned with =
being completely original.<BR><BR>Example:<BR><A =
href=3D"http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=3DCMB%2D13%2D00=
33&amp;view=3D1&amp;N=3D700+150+%2D230039+">http://store.summitracing.com=
/partdetail.asp?part=3DCMB%2D13%2D0033&amp;view=3D1&amp;N=3D700+150+%2D23=
0039+</A><BR><BR><BR>eddee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:<BR>&gt; HELLO =
MEMBERS<BR>&gt;&nbsp;<BR>&gt; A local friend with a 60 PLYM torqueflite =
has a question.<BR>&gt; He installed a new radiator which did not have =
provisions for the<BR>&gt; cooling lines for the trans =
fluid.<BR>&gt;&nbsp;<BR>&gt; Has anyone just plugged those ports that =
come out of the transmo.<BR>&gt;&nbsp;<BR>&gt; Other than running a tad =
warmer I did not think anything would get<BR>&gt; internally damaged =
since the early transmos had no lines???<BR>&gt;&nbsp;<BR>&gt; =
RSVP<BR>&gt; ED ECKERSON<BR>&gt; LI&nbsp; =
NY<BR></FONT></P></DIV></BODY></HTML>
options,
please go to <br>
http://lists.psu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=3Dl-forwardlook&AMP;A=3D1</a>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C98A4D.FF195976--

> I should have read all the replies before I tossed in my two cents.
>
> Tom S
> southern Ohio

I suspect that Lots of modern Mopars have added tranny coolers, the
wifes 98 Sebring vert had a tranny cooler, AND a power steering cooler,
stock!!  You could probably find one fairly easy at a modern car boneyard.

--
Paul Holmgren
Mine: 2 57 300-C's in Indy