[FWDLK] Used Torqueflite - Is it any good?

[FWDLK] Used Torqueflite - Is it any good?

Howdy folks -

I picked up a used Torqueflite, complete with torque converter, bell housing and parking brake, from a fella who once had a bunch of 300-D parts here in Florida, and this was the last mechanical item he had left.

The transmission, from the stamped numbers, is an Imperial unit.

From the outside appearance, it looked as though as it has been rebuilt, it was THAT clean - someone had taken care to put a good coat of silver paint on it.  The torque converter looked like it just came out of the box.

I have zero mechanical experience with automatics, outside of adding a cooler, changing filter (when one's there) and changing fluid. I dropped the pan last night, and found a tiny bit of used fluid, no burnt smell, so the unit has been run.  The fluid was not quite pink, and slightly brownish.  No metal filings were visible.

The components visible were very bright and clean, and I moved a couple of 'em around by hand.  I didn't unbolt anything but the pan.

Here's my question:  Is there a way I can tell if this transmission is any good without actually installing it?  I have ordinary hand and air tools, no specialty transmission tools.

Thanks.

John Spiers