Re: [FWDLK] 1955 chrysler starting voltage problem

Re: [FWDLK] 1955 chrysler starting voltage problem

Chuck,

My next step would be to check the voltage right at the battery terminal
posts while cranking the starter.

If the voltage drops at the battery to less than 5 volts, then either your
battery is too weak or the starter is drawing too much current. You can have
them tested and replace the weak one.

If the battery voltage stays higher during cranking, then follow the wiring
path from the battery terminals to the PerTronix and test the voltage at
each connection at the downstream side of the connection.

6 volt systems are especially vulnerable to dirty or corroded connections.
Clean both connections at the battery and the battery cable ground
connection to the engine block.

Are you using the PerTronix ignition coil? Are you still using the ballast
resistor?

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500