[FWDLK] Humm, wrenching old stuff info

Forwarded from a message I got today:

Some of you might appreciate this. Machinist's Workshop magazine
tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts.

They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional
machinist, Bud Baker.

They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants
with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from
a "scientifically rusted" environment.

*Penetrating oil ..... Average load*
None ...................... 516 pounds
WD-40 ..................... 238 pounds
PB Blaster ................ 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ............. 127 pounds
Kano Kroil ................ 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix..............53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic
transmission fluid and acetone. Note the "home brew" was better
than any commercial product in this one particular test.
Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use
it with equally good results.
Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as good as "Kroil" for
about 20% of the price.

stolen from here

http://forums.thecarlounge.net/zerothread?id=4547049

--