Re: [FWDLK] Front seat problem

Someone was telling me that the '57 Mopar cars had  front seats that were too low and that the seat tracks were made higher by 1959 to improve the problem.   Has anyone else heard this?   If this is true I could bolt some '57 tracks onto the seats if they are interchangeable.   Or, my other thought was to shorten the seat tracks that are on there presently.   The replacement floor is pretty rusty so anything short of a full floor replacement won't work.  This car will basically be a daily driver and I just want to drive it and not spend a ton of money on it.  It doesn't really need much to be roadworthy but when it is the front seat the way it is now won't work for any driving more than a few minutes unless I was 5'7" or less(I'm 6').  Nick.

On Nov 29, 2009, at 4:39 PM, Bartell, John wrote:

Hi Nick,
   When I put the new floor pans from R Car in my 59 in Plymouth Suburban, they "did not" have the recessed area for the seat mounts.  I used some sort of chunk of lumber in about the same shape as the original indent to form the recesses.  The seats would have been about 5/8" to 3/4" too high.  There was no difference in the floor pans in any of the 5  59's I had, they all had a recessed area with or without swivel seats, unlike the 57 -58's I have seen without indents.  Are all 57-58 floors the same???  I don't know!  I liked the pans from R car, they just were not like the original 59's.

John in WI...getting more like winter...had a dusting of snow...cold and breezy!  Well, not that cold yet...I'm just getting older!
   -----Original Message-----
From: "Nichols" <nick.barb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent 11/29/2009 11:43:08 AM
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [FWDLK] Front seat problem

My '59 Plymouth has swivel seats and the floor pans has been replaced
at some point.  The front seat has been reupholstered and the seat
sits higher than it is supposed to, mainly because the floor pans are
sitting higher than the originals.  Also, the seat being reupholstered
doesn't help, as the newer cushions are sitting higher than an old
worn down seat would.  Anyone have any thoughts and how to lower the
seat without having to redo the floor pans??    Removing some cushion
material was all I could think of.   I am 6 feet tall which causes my
head
to be right at the top of the headliner with the seat as is.
Any info greatly appreciated.
Nick Nichols