From: Forward Look Mopar Discussion List
[mailto:L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Eastern Sierra Adjustment
Svc
Sent: Monday, November 30, 2009 1:30 PM
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] Front seat problem

On my 57 HT, decades ago, I noticed that the factory/sub-contractor had
installed about 1/2" tall wood
blocks under the manual seat's 'legs-bases' in order to increase the
height of the seat.

The car was built in late March; I don't know when this non-adjustable
seat height increase was instituted.

I saw a 1959 Custom Royal 4-dr sedan which was in fine #3 condition, but
which was sacrificed to restore
a basket case CRL convertible, after its swivel (power, IIRC)  seat was
removed.

I immediately noticed that the floor pan was virtually flat, compared to
the 57-58 models, which required that
DEEP  OEM floor troughs had to be welded into the floor pans, in order
to accept the power seat control-lifter
mechanisms.

Power bench seats WERE available in 1959 (Speed Age famously tested a
1959 CRL D500 convertible
with air suspension, and a power bench seat) .

I'm wondering if Nick's car might have 57-58 power seat
adjuster-mechanisms on it.

I retrofitted a 57 CHY power bench seat onto my car (complete with the
installation of its deep-troughs into
the floor pans) and always have its seat height residing at maximum
altitude---in this position, the seat
is not quite at "chair-height", but, there is not much room to slide my
legs under the steering wheel
and the seat cushion.

Once seated, the steering wheel is at a very nice angle-position, and my
head is well under
the headliner, and I am 5'10" .

Neil Vedder