[FWDLK] 1955 Chrysler Door Handle release tool-homemade

[FWDLK] 1955 Chrysler Door Handle release tool-homemade

I have not fed this digest for some time, but I have fabricated a tool that
works slick on removing the door handles and window cranks from our 1955
Chrysler 300.   I would guess that this tool would work on most '55-'56 and
other MoPars.

It disengages the spring steel clip from the square shaft and enables
pulling the handle off the shaft.  It consists of a Vise-Grip/Quick Grip
Mini Bar Clamp Part No. 05412.  Remove the rubber pads and affix two pieces
of sawn galvanized steel brackets "Strong Tie/hurricane straps/reinforcing
brackets", found at Home Depot/Lowes to the jaws with small machine screws,
drilled and tapped into the plastic jaws.  One bracket shaped to fit just
under the round edge of the door handle and the other one is shaped to slide
in and around the square shaft and press against the steel clip to release
it from the notch in the shaft.  The clamp jaws are then brought together to
hold the clip in the released position and the handle is easily removed by
tugging axially with the clamp bar.

I can take and send digital pictures if anyone wants to fab their own.  I'm
not a machinist, just a frugal engineer.

Can I attach photos to these postings?

Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA
C300@xxxxxxx