To: <L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:36 PM
Subject: [FWDLK] Hissy-fitting brake booster

Well, for anyone interested, you might recall that my car's
canister-type power
brake booster has been hissing badly, whenever the pedal is depressed, and that I'd been quoted O/H prices of several hundreds, and up, for that work.

When this condition occurs, with our cars, a mere reversion to manual-
braking-effort results, and if so, that is NO big-deal, believe me. Biggest
PITA is the hissing noise, at red lights (so, don't STOP there, I hear
you say).

As I never like risking sending out an essential part with the car remaining
undriveable,  I bought a flea-pay  booster, very economically, which
was  claimed
to be in working condition, and sent it out to  "Booster Dewey", in
Portland OR
for O/H, at the VERY reasonable cost of $175.00.

They just called and will be returning that guy to me;  they say that
they use a very
viscous lubricant to seal up the booster's internal compression.

I've asked them to send  me some pics of their representative internal
work, as I  may  be
praising their product to others.  They say that my 'new' booster has
been tested by
them to work like a champ!

So, I may be interested in selling my car's canister to someone who
might be interested
in having IT be O/H'ed, and installed in (one of-) your car(s), too.

Anyway: and here's a question for you Engineering-types: the manual
brakes apparently
have a different configuration of the brake pedals/system, from the
power brake models (called
the "aspect ratio"--IIRC) which allow for different p.s.i. line pressure
ratings, between the two
systems.

E.G.: according to the 1957 D501 A.M.A. specs, the manual brakes have a
750 p.s.i.
rating, while the power brakes have a 1,100 p.s.i. rating ; a
considerable difference.

(Here it comes: )  so, to what extent would a manual brake car realize
an increase in
braking effort/effect if a power brake's  pedal-lever-connections were
to be installed
onto it, and, vice-versa---given, that the master cylinders are
identical, which I
believe that they are????

Neil Vedder