Re: [FWDLK] funky chrome spear thingy

If you are of a mind, Eastwood has copper backing plates that are magnetic in case vise grips can't reach over the edge to where you want them.

http://search.eastwood.com/search?asug=copper&w=copper+backer&p=Q&ts=custom

 Bill Huff

At 2/19/201012:32 AM, Ron Waters wrote:
Roger -

MIG welding is the way to go.

What you want to do is clean the area around the hole (both on top and
underneath) with a wire wheel on a high speed grinder or a drill, until the
area is perfectly clean. Then vice grip a piece of thin gauge copper to the
underside of the hole as a backing. Set your 110v welder to a relatively
high heat setting and puddle the weld into the hole, filling it.

Once things cool off, unclamp the sheet copper, which should fall off, as
the weld won't stick to the copper. Now grind the weld flush with the fender
on the top. You're done, and it only took about ten minutes total.

Ron

> I just picked up a nice rust-free set of fenders for my '58 DeSoto
Firedome
> in California after a five year search for a good reasonable pair.
Problem