Re: [FWDLK] Brake conversion

Some master cylinders do have the residual pressure valve in the drum side of them, but this was rendered unnecessary by the modern slave cylinders which have the internal spring and cone seats to maintain the seal of the cups.  If your slave cylinders in the rear don't have springs/cones in them, most rebuild kits include new ones.  You will probably need a proportioning valve though, either the built in one from a front-disk rear wheel drive Mopar, or an aftermarket one.  The typical adjustable aftermarket valves run about $50 from Summit, etc, or get one from, say, a late '70's early '80's RWD mopar at the junk yard to replace your distribution block and take care of the proportioning at the same time.

Bill & Kathi Parker, South Central Indiana '60 Chrysler Saratoga kustom; '62 Plymouth Max Wedge; '64 Dart convertible; '65 Barracuda \6; '65 Imperial; '68 Barracuda FB 340-S; '69 Barracuda FB now 360; '70 Challenger now 440; '72 Cuda '340

Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 12:07:21 -0600
From: jdonmack@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [FWDLK] Brake conversion
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi to all.
I recently purchased a partial brake conversion kit (front) from AAJ Brakes for my '59 Plymouth (manual brakes), and will be installing them shortly.
I purchased my duel MC from O'Rielly's, (Cardone remanufactured). I have reviewed many of the threads on the Plymouth.net forum and also the Forward Look forum. To my knowledge I have never noticed any mention of  installing a residual value for the rear drum brakes.  Would it be necessary to install one to prevent excessive pedal travel, as there isn't one built into the master cylinder?? As of yet, I haven't called Roger on this matter.
I would appreciate any other information anyone may be able to share with me before I start my project, as Spring has Sprung in the Great White North!!!.
Don from Medicine Hat, AB

Hotmail has tools for the New Busy. Search, chat and e-mail from your inbox. Learn More.