Re: [FWDLK] HELP: Headlight switch clicks every 5 seconds

Re: [FWDLK] HELP: Headlight switch clicks every 5 seconds

My SWAG is that the voltage regulator needs cleaning or is on its way 'out'.

If so, Jim has at least a spare V.R. in his second 57 D500.

This 'points' out that we all should carry a stash of replacement parts in our car's trunks, including a water pump and a voltage regulator, belts and hoses,
a distributor cap , points/condensor, and misc tools.

Dave Homstad even carries a spare starter, but, to me, THAT is 'over-kill' !

Neil Vedder

57 Super D500 wrote:

Hi all,

While driving my 1957 Dodge by night, I just noticed something weird, of which I’m sure it didn’t occur before.

When turning the lights on, the switch itself seems to click every 5 seconds. And during that click, for a fraction of a second, the head lights and AMP meter drop.

Does anybody have any clue as to what might cause this? And is it a tell tale for something worse to come?

I am a week from making an almost 1000 mile road trip to the Big Power Meet in Sweden…

Looking forward to your comment/advise/tips…, anything!

Regards, Jim

The Netherlands

1957 Dodge Lancer D550 x2