Re: [FWDLK] HELP: Headlight switch clicks every 5 seconds

----- Original Message -----

From: "Eastern Sierra Adjustment Svc"

My SWAG is that the voltage regulator needs cleaning or is on its way 'out'.

If so, Jim has at least a spare V.R. in his second 57 D500.

This 'points' out that we all should carry a stash of replacement parts
in our
car's trunks, including a water pump and a voltage regulator, belts and
hoses,
a distributor cap , points/condensor, and misc tools.

Dave Homstad even carries a spare starter, but, to me, THAT is 'over-kill' !

Neil Vedder

  My experience has been that the clicking and reset is the symptom of a short elsewhere in the system, not the switch itself.

  Now, as far as packing spare parts .... at the 96 NDC National meet in Sunnyvale, California, a large group of cars went over the Santa Cruz mountains on a coordinated tour.  While moving at a crawl near the top of the mountains, a 55 Fireflite up ahead of me stops moving and rolls backward before the driver (whose name escapes me after all these years) figures out what is going on and gets the car stopped.  Turned out, it was a broken axle !  The thing just snapped while going 10 mph !  I still find this hard to believe, but someone in the group had a spare axle in their trunk !!!!!!  I had half my shop tools in MY trunk (including my big floor jack) and if memory serves, we did the repair right there on the side of the road !  :-)

  George Laurie told me he often takes massive spare parts stockpiles with him when he crosses the Outback.

  B.