From: Forward Look Mopar Discussion List
[mailto:L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Garrett
Sent: Sunday, July 04, 2010 6:09 PM
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [FWDLK] Engine running fine...dies...won't re-start

As the subject said, my car (1957 Dodge Coronet) was running just fine,
stuttered a couple of times, and now it won't re-start.

I started it and let it idle a few minutes, drove it a couple of miles and
parked it.  Then after an hour or so I started it again, it idled for a few
minutes while I put air in a tire, drove it to the mailbox where I grabbed
the mail, and then the problem occurred.  It had no other issues throughout
the day.  It is a hot and miserable day today and the engine was definitely
warm.  I have a couple thoughts as to potential issues, but am more
interested in what folks here on the list feel the issue might be.

The situation occurred after I was sitting on a somewhat steep hill idling
for a minute or two.  I put it in gear to proceed, it went a little distance
to where it leveled out again, and the engine died.  It started a couple
more times for a few seconds but wouldn't stay running.  At first I thought
maybe idling on the hill caused a carb/fuel delivery related issue.  I
checked the fuel filter and throughout my various starting attempts it would
be anywhere from completely full to nearly empty.  I loosened the fuel
filter nut a couple times and there was apparently some pressure built up
somewhere as when I loosened the nut fuel would rush into the filter (so
hopefully the pump is ok).  I did notice that some of the seals on the carb
began to look wet, as if there was a lot of fuel in there, not going
anywhere.

The car is sitting out front now.  Knowing my luck it will turn right over
and start if I go try it later tonight, but in case the problem is something
more serious, I'd like to get some ideas right away.

The fuel gauge doesn't work but I put a couple more gallons of gas in the
tank anyway.  I don't think gas level is the issue, although I am somewhat
concerned about the age of the gas in the tank.  I last filled the tank a
couple years ago, but did put an additive that I believe is supposed to help
stabilize the fuel (such as when sitting a while and not doing a lot of
moving)...not sure exactly what it was though.  That being said, what are
the chances the car would start and run fine for a while if the gas was bad?

Any ideas?  Any other details I neglected to provide?  I didn't really have
a chance to look at the ignition side of things.  I did see that the carb
would still squirt fuel when pumping the throttle, but perhaps the engine
was flooded?  I've only ever had flooding/vapor lock issues on cold days, so
this seems weird to me on a hot, miserable day.

As usual, your help is greatly appreciated.

-Garrett