Re: [FWDLK] Engine running fine...dies...won't re-start

Re: [FWDLK] Engine running fine...dies...won't re-start

Heh, heh; over on the FWDLK website, about a month ago, I
happened to posit the following trivia question: What is the LEAST-observed
factory service recommendation?

Ans: removing the gas tank drain plug and emptying/cleaning the gas
tank, on an ANNUAL basis!

Neil Vedder

Bjwt56@xxxxxxx wrote:
Folks:
I just read that reseating the plug on the bottom of the gas tank is not possible. That is not true. A gasket can be easily made from cork gasket material about 1/8 inch thick. I know because I did it. Put grease on the cork gasket before installing so when you tighten the plug you do not tear up the gasket. Do not over tighten. John Teske In a message dated 7/5/2010 8:54:28 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, esierraadj@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

    I drove my car, literally, for years before I found out that there
    was
    supposed
    to be a (ceramic) filter inside the glass fuel filter bowl...

    Neil Vedder

    Ron Waters wrote:
    > Garrett -
    >
    > If you are trying to diagnose this problem, I wouldn't worry
    about the fuel
    > filter for now. I've run my 58 Ply without a ceramic filter and
    it works
    > fine. If it's broken, then remove it so that small chips don't
    break off and
    > get stuck in the carb's needle and seat. In fact, it's possible
    that this
    > could be the problem.
    >
    > If you have old gas in the tank, remove it and flush it out. Do
    NOT attempt
    > to remove the drain plug in the bottom of the tank. You will
    never re-seat
    > it to the point that it doesn't leak.
    >
    > While you have the tank off, pull the sending unit and put a new
    filter on
    > the pickup tube end. Have you ever done this since you've owned
    the car ?
    > It'll prevent you from having similar problems down the road
    that may result
    > from crap getting in the line.
    >
    > How long has it been since the carb was rebuilt ? If that has
    never been
    > done and the above doesn't solve the problem, then that should
    be your next
    > area of attention.
    >
    > Don't look for a quick fix. Use the above to solve the problem.
    Let us know