Re: [FWDLK] What to do with a tank full of (bad) gas?

Re: [FWDLK] What to do with a tank full of (bad) gas?

Option B is not a good option.

Many body shops or mechanical repair shops have machines for
siphoning out gas via the fuel filler tube.

Take along a gas can full of fresh gas, to get you home or to a nearby
gas station, if you only want to replace the existing gas in the tank
with some new-brew.

Neil Vedder

Garrett wrote:
I don't have a lift available or many other fancy tools at the present time (in the middle of moving and setting up the garage) and will be doing this in the street (cul-de-sac), so I'm looking at my options for draining the gas tank. What is the likelihood of siphoning enough gas from the tank that any remaining bad gas would be diluted enough from new gas as not to cause any issues? Is there any basic test that can be done to determine how crappy the gas is (such as will it even hold a flame)? Option B would be to try the drain plug, but I don't have much in the way of catch or storage containers to catch the amount of fuel I suspect is in the tank (I'm guessing 10-15 gallons but hopefully it's less). What are some good recommendations for a gasoline-safe container to catch/store the bad gas in? I'd prefer not to spend $100+ and would like to use the container(s) for at least partially re-filling my car's gas tank once the bad gas has been disposed of (so that rules out the Home Depot Homer Bucket). I've seen some large 10-14 gallon Gas Cans or Fuel Caddys...but am open for any other suggestions as well. I guess another option is to hit up the neighbors for gas cans...I could probably get a few that way. Ideas appreciated, Garrett