Re: [FWDLK] Ball and Trunnion

I asked my trannie guy how he removed the 'pin', last year, when he O/H'ed
Horrie's trannie, and also replaced the rubber boot and serviced the entire trunion joint
assembly.

He seemed to recall that he merely put the pin into a vise
and tapped the ball-head-housing so that it freed up, relative to the pin's attachment to it.

At any rate, the simple procedure worked; no 20-ton press required.

Neil Vedder

Ron Waters wrote:
Hey Gang -
I pulled my 59 Dodge's driveshaft out of storage and decided that I wanted to rebuild the ball and trunnion (front) U-Joint. What tool should I use to remove the pin from the ball head ? Any 'gotchas' in disassembling the body ? Also, I may want to replace the boot, even though mine looks pretty good, with no cracks or tears. Where can you get the correct boot without paying a fortune ? BTW, I'm keeping the B&T setup. I know some have gone to cross-type joints front and rear, which I'm not interested in doing. Thanks, Ron