[FWDLK] Fuel for thought

  I’d be careful when airing out a gasoline line.  At some point you will create a combustible mixture, only needing a spark for a pop or a bang, depending.

I’m wondering if your fuel pumps really fail, or if your car has a bad case of no-startum due to no fuel in the carbs or supply line clear back to the tank.  This is a common problem with mid-50’s MoPars running on corn gas.  I and others have added an electric fuel pump back at the tank and use it with a push button to prime the carbs as it pumps through the check valves in the mechanical fuel pump.  I don’t have to use this all the time and am not sure whether the gasoline evaporates, leaks down thru the carbs or just gravities back through the fuel pump check valves, but it sure happens a lot.  When the gasoline is all gone, clear back to the tank, it may seem the fuel pump has failed as they are not real good at pumping out the fumes in the line and sucking gas from the tank to the pump inlet.

Rich Barber

1801 Redwine Terrace

Brentwood, CA 94513-6000

Home:  925-513-6583