Re: [FWDLK] Impeller removal: rebuilding 1956 354 Hemi v8 Water Pump

Re: [FWDLK] Impeller removal: rebuilding 1956 354 Hemi v8 Water Pump

Eric

Chrysler did make plastic impellers. You could have a cast iron if you see no plastic. Before you start to disassemble pump, you must check and remove the "C" clip that secures the bearing in the housing. It is unlikely you will disassemble pump with hand pullers. The 55 year old parts are frozen onto pump shaft. I use a hydraulic H frame press to do my pumps.
I have the luxury of a 10,000psi electric pump on my press. Heating the casting and impeller will help to release when you press apart.
Next, you will be pushing the bearing/shaft out from the impeller (back) side. You must support the casting close to the front side of housing. Next, you need a about a 4" steel rod that is smaller than the shaft. You push on that rod with the press. The impeller will move down until it bottoms in the casting. At that point the bearing will have started to move out of the housing and then the shaft will push out of the impeller as you continue to push. At that point you will have the shaft/bearing with the pulley flange attached. Turn it over and support flange as you push shaft out with the same rod. Measure the amount of the shaft the protrudes out of the flange and press back onto the new shaft the same measurement.
After cleaning the housing and machining the seal surface you are ready to assemble.
First you press the new shaft/bearing into the housing. You need to support the casting on the back side. A piece of 2" pipe will do. At this point you will need 2 extra hands to steady the casting on the pipe. Do not press on the shaft to install bearing into housing. You will damage the bearing. You need a sleeve that fits over the shaft and pushes on the OD of the bearing. The bearing will stop flush with the nose of housing.
Now turn over the housing (bottom face up), and balance on the bearing shaft sticking out the front of pump (you will need two extra hands again) and install seal and press on impeller flush with bearing /shaft. Turn over again (front side up), and rest back end of shaft on a solid support and press pulley flange on the same distance you measured before pressing off the old shaft.
Now you learned all my secrets. I you want to send me a airline ticket, I will be there to rebuild your pump. You will have to feed me also.

Good luck,

Thank you,
Gary, the parts doc
Reno, Nevada 89521 USA