Re: [FWDLK] Fw: [FWDLK] Anybody parting out a 55 or a 56 Windsor, or a 5

Re: [FWDLK] Fw: [FWDLK] Anybody parting out a 55 or a 56 Windsor, or a 56 Dodge w/the 270 Poly engine?

Gary,

I beg to differ on the availability of speed parts for the Dodge 241 through 325 Hemi/Poly engine series. Aside from the 2, 4, and 2 x 4 bbl intake manifolds offered from the factory, Weiand and Offenhauser offered numerous aluminum maifolds in 2 x 2, 3 x 2, 4 x 2, 2 x 4 configurations. These are interchangeable between Hemi and Poly engines. The multi 2 bbl versions were available for both the 3 bolt and 4 bolt carbs. The Offy versions are still available from Offy today, after more than 50 years.

The factory had rocker arms for solid lifter cams and rocker covers with clearance bumps for the adjusters. There are still aftermarket cast aluminum rocker covers. Various other aluminum parts, such as valley covers and fuel pump block-off covers. Hot Heads has been adding to the variety today, with such things as conversions to Chevy small block water pumps. A couple of sources still make block hugger headers.

Cams used to be more available 50 years ago, but you can always have one made to your own specs. There is an unused one from the old days on eBay right now with .500 lift and 290 degrees duration. A bit wild for the street.

I am sure that in 1960, there were many more speed parts for the Dodge engine than the 318. But since it was discontinued after 1959 because the new A series engines were cheaper to build, speed parts development went to newer designs and bigger engines. So today, after 50 years, it is harder to find parts for the Dodge engines. The 318 engines have benefited today from a longer production life and from being related to the 340 and 360 high performance engines.

But I would still rather have a HEMI!

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500