[FWDLK] Colors and Survival rates (was Regal Lancer)

[FWDLK] Colors and Survival rates (was Regal Lancer)

Good thought, Roger.  It makes sense that racier colored cars would have a good chance being bought by a kid (or a kid-at-heart) and wrapped around a tree when it was new or a late-model used car.  Same could be said about higher horsepower cars.  On the other hand, those same broken cars were more likely held on to in a barn, waiting for a better day.

I was always under the impression that more fowardlooks survive today that were originally painted white (or other light colors) than black (or other dark colors).  The reason being that dark color painted cars get hotter inside and were less popular in hotter, dryer climates like SoCal/AZ/NM/NV/TX.  Those also happen to be the locations where cars rust away much slower and had a better chance of surviving to this day.  Even if the car was AC equipped, why fight it?  Just buy a light colored car so the AC doesn’t have to work so hard.  I guess that is why 2-tones with a white roof stayed in vogue even after the multi-color fad of the ‘50s went away.

I recently found out my ’60 DeSoto was bought new in SoCal.  It is black and is equipped with a heavy-duty AC dealer unit.  The orig. owner, soon after buying it, painted the top of the roof light-light grey to help cool off the interior.  I was told it made a huge difference.

So….if you go over to the postcard thread over at the forums: http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=14389&posts=1611&start=1

Do you see this same phenomena?  Are the cars in the Southwest postcards more often light colored compared to the cars in the Midwest postcards?  Hmmm….

Robert in KC