Re: [FWDLK] 1957 DODGE BRAKES, WHEELS, HUBCAPS,ETC, ETC.

On my 56, I went to front discs because I moved to an area with a lot of hills, my front drums were out of spec and I wasn't getting full contact from the shoes and the car stopped like crap, I could have continued my search for better drums and had the shoes ground to match, but I was tired of working on them. I did the front discs and haven't touched the front brakes since, that was 11 years ago. If I do have an issue, I can go to pep boys and come home with new parts. The car stops really nice, it was the best improvement I did to that car.
From: Ron Swartley <Archangel1390@xxxxxxx>
Sender: Forward Look Mopar Discussion List <L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 19:42:29 EDT
To: <L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
ReplyTo: Archangel1390@xxxxxxx
Subject: [FWDLK] 1957 DODGE BRAKES, WHEELS, HUBCAPS,ETC, ETC.

    I have read many of the things that have been written about disk brakes, front and disk brakes back disk brakes, and it keeps getting more and more confusing. Then wheel size and then hubcap size. What next? Carry a 14 inch and 15 inch spare tire!!!

     I drag raced Chrysler Products from a 56 Plymouth Fury to a 426  Hemi Superbird and about 25 cars in between those I just mentioned. I won more than 237 drag strip competition trophies and set about 12 drag strip records in my classes, and almost all my cars did 100+ miles per hour in the quarter mile and I had less than 1/8 of a mile to stop them after the race. I never had any problem stopping at all. Brake fade, what brake fade there was almost none.

      Now every single car I raced had Mopar Factory power brakes or Factory power assisted brakes. The only time I ever had even a little brake fade was driving down Peters Mountain at a very fast rate of speed that had me on and off the brakes ever few seconds. ALL DUE RESPECT TO YOU GUYS------Where are you driving these cars??????? A 57 Dodge????? You can't run NASCAR  with that, I doubt if you are going to take it to one of the drag strips and race it !!!!! You do not need Super disk brakes all the way around to drive a 325 cu inch Dodge to the local car cruise at the "Sonic Drive In Restaurant" a mile outside the city. If you just want the car to look bad and super fast, I still have two very old parachutes that can be mounted on the rear bumper just for show!!!!!! I will sell them very cheap.

     Hey, just my .02---based on my racing and collection Mopar's since 1956. ( That is about 55 years!!!!!!!!! )

  Ron Allyn Swartley

PS. HAPPY EASTER EVERYBODY!!!!!!