Re: [FWDLK] [Chrysler300] Shocks - Koni

"Wallowing" in the corners can be related to having wimpy-sidewall
radial tires installed on a vehicle.

The sidewalls literally fold under the wheels in a turn.

I had that very problem until I installed Diamondback Trailer-Rated tires,
which have very-stiff sidewall construction.

Those tires are pressure rated at 55 psi; I run 40+ psi on Horrie.

I've also got KYB 2-way gas shocks on him, and am very happy with their
performance, too.

Speaking of going-both-ways, I just read an old Motor Life (IIRC) article,
and it said that the MoPar Oriflow-brand shock absorbers provided both up and
downward dampening, instead of the typical 1-way (upward?) dampening
that most shock absorbers provided.

You can, also, install Firm Feel's heavy-duty front-crossmember strut rod bushings,
to replace the very wimpy OEM "crush-sleeve" bushings.

Neil Vedder

Robert Tittle wrote:
Jim –
Thanks for the Reality Check.
<< if you're into straight-line and/or track>performance street driving, read on, >>
I am & I did.

I’m not so much a “This is how they built them & that’s how it has to be” kinda guy. So, not NOS is not a problem. I love the look & feel of the FL cars but I hate the Wallowing in the corners. I wanted to stiffen up the ride for several reasons so I’ve been reading this series of e-mails with considerable interest.

The rear was no real problem, the left rear spring was broken (3 wheel steering is not for the faint of heart) & I had to do something so I ordered Station Wagon Springs (6 leaf) for the Rear & added Monroe Coil Overs to boot. Yeah! That’s what I had in mind!

I replaced the front shocks with the only thing I could think of, HD Ford Pick Up Shocks. Over the last 15 years the fronts have settled & she’s kinda mushy in the front.

John Spiers pointed me to a thread in Steering & Suspension & to a fella who had used Monroe Matic 80 Corvette Front Shocks on his 56 New Yorker with good to excellent results. At $24 a piece the Monroe’s make a good deal more sense, given your observations about the limits of the Frame & Suspension Mounts, than the $100 a piece Konis or KYBs. My only reservation is longevity. But at $24 each I don’t think it will be an issue unless I’m replacing them every other year. The Monroe’s on the rear have done yeoman duty for almost 10 years so I’m not anticipating any problems.

While I don’t plan to be carving turns with the Trans-Am Camaros I am interested in replacing the front Sway Bar with something bigger but I’ll wait to see how the Monroe’s impact the overall handling. Where & which bars might fit & improve the tail out handling? Even though Dirt Tracking is fun it can surprise you in the wet.

Later.

R.T>