Re: [FWDLK] power steering units

LeRoy, your P/S gearbox should probably be overhauled, if it
is original to your car.

These are several shops that do that work.

Lares Corp may be the most expensive, but they did excellent work
on my 57's steering gear box, a decade ago, and it has operated perfectly
since then, and with their 'standard' adjustment installed in it.

Other people swear by Steer & Gear.

There may be a third shop, but, you should call them-all and talk with
them about their services and pricing.

That said, you should jack up the front suspension, securely, with the wheels off the
ground and have someone move the steering wheel, while a knowledgeable
person checks all of the steering bushing-connections checking for any play
or lost-motion in the drag link, pitman arm, center link, tie-rods; everything....

He should also check out the suspension bushings-connections, too, while he is under there.

Your steering gearbox might not be your culpret, after all

Neil Vedder

lr.thompson@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hello,
Does anyone know if it is possible to swap a newer power steering unit for the one on my 56 DeSoto? Mine has too much freeplay in the steering and needs to be rebuilt or replaced. Thanks to those responding to my earlier email about pinion seals. I have the new National seal (from O'Rielly's) installed, didn't even need the repair sleeve, and now there are no leaks. regards, LeRoy