Re: [FWDLK] gift from the imperial club

On Dec 10, 2011, at 11:26 AM, Eastern Sierra Adjustment Svc wrote:

> That reminds me...back around 1960, there were some neat
> large bubble gum cards (unless these cars were only sold in wrapped
> packages, like bubble gum sports-figure cards; can't remember, but
> unlikely sold without gum being enclosed)....that were called "Car Cards"
> and they featured color portraits of individual sports cars against a plain
> background.
>
> There was a blurb about them, on the back, and an obscured illustration
> that could be revealed by scratching that area with a coin edge---anyway,
> that's my recollection of them.
>
> Anyway, which brings me to the subject of  Debenson's posting, I took several
> long lengths of cardboard box sides and created a grid of 8 lanes or so, and about
> 15 lengths long, which fit the size of the cards, so that the cars could be raced against
> each other, back and forth down the cardboard 'track', with each one's movement
> regulated by a throw of dice.
>
> How times have changed.
>
> Neil Vedder

  I harbor the duplicitous nostalgia of how cool it was to be amused by all this corny stuff as "genuine" entertainment
and how dreadfully campy and boring it was as I got older.  Now, it all seems so quaint and I wish I was so easily
amused.  Maybe this is where the brain damage started to find tinkering in the garage and puttering about the garden
far more interesting and fulfilling than going to see flash-bang action movies about the end of the world or super
serial killers ?

  How boring am I ?   Hehehehe !  :-)

  B.