Sent: Friday, January 20, 2012 7:14 PM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] Carb Question

I have used to JB Weld to attach a broken ?ear? on a AVS carb.  Did it about 5-6 years ago- no problems since...
Prep is the key to JB Weld (like anything really).  You do need to scuff the areas involved (light sanding with fine 150, 200,250 grit should do) and then make sure the mating surfaces are ABSOLUTELY clean.  I?ve used paint prep (like for wiping down a car just before you spay paint), more commonly known as degreaser/deglosser, and then after it evaporates off, apply the JB Weld.  I?ve had good luck with just brake cleaner for prep too.  It evaporates off with zero residue.  Also, make sure you are at working in at least a 65 degree area and the parts are warmed as well.  The hotter it is, the faster the JB Weld sets up.

Good Luck with it,
Charles.