Re: [FWDLK] Final Show & Tell!

On 2/19/2012 5:31 PM, Eastern Sierra Adjustment Svc wrote:

Well, Horrie's clock has rejoined the living.

Altho I sorta lucked out in finding Classic Auto Electric, I am completely
satisfied with Joe's knowledge, communication and skills!

Good news. Your clock is running like a charm. Here is a photo of the
points as cleaned and realigned. I added the snubber capacitor that we
talked about, and I did some cosmetic cleanup while the clock was still
open

snip

Actually, flux capacitor is a pretty good description of what the
capacitor is doing. When you turn off the coil (open the points) the
electromagnet flux field around the coil collapses, inducing a large
voltage across the points. The exact formula (for any engineers in the
group) is E = L di/dt. (Remember your calculus?) Anyway, what the
capacitor does is give the inductive voltage an alternate path rather
than arc across the points. It's not exactly the same, but it is similar
to what the condenser across the points does in your ignition system.

snip

And let me know if you have any other questions I might be able to answer.

Thats' about what I suggested might be a decent contact point protection method. :-)

The phone company did that in so many places that they designed and manufactured a condenser-resister combination device so they could be added where needed as a single item. Saved a lot of time thru out the industry. They were mainly used in 48Vdc circuits.

--
Paul Holmgren
Mine: 2 57 300-C's in Indy