Re: [FWDLK] help again

Color me old school, but I like to run mine on the cool side too.  Some guys swear by running them hot.  I don't get it.  To me heat = trouble.
The closer you run to "too much hot", the less room for corrective action when something goes wrong.  But I am a lope-a-long kinda guy when
it comes to my old cars.

  I had a field relic 60 Buick I drove to college.  I had driven it all summer before school started and then headed off to California.  Never had
overheating issues until I hit the Siskiyous.  Overheated badly in Grants Pass, and again in Medford.  I figured I was gonna break something
if I pushed on, so I stopped at a radiator shop and the old codge who owned the place told me he could not see me until morning, so I parked
the car down by a nearby creek, walked into town for some chow, and bunked in the car that night.  Come morning, we pulled the radiator,
removed the tanks and rodded out the core.  It turned out to be in very good shape, looking like a very well done recore.  So, we put it back in
the car and the old dude told me to run it without a thermostat.  For whatever reasons - being young, stupid, stubborn, thinking a car HAD TO
HAVE a thermostat -  I left it in and proceeded south, where I promptly overheated again near Ashland.  So, out came the 1/2" socket and 10
minutes later it was all back together sans thermostat and I got back on the highway.  Never had another overheating issue with it again over
the next couple years, and we're talking some serious heat down around Sacramento in the summer.  In the winter, I'd put it back in and the
heater would be quick to work and still no overheating.

  Done this a few times since with stubborn overheaters and had the same good results.

  I really miss those old days of "Mom-n-Pop" type shops where old geezers with 700 years of experience were happy to work on old iron and
offer old school tips.

  As an aside, another thing this guy showed me that was brilliant and I do to this day, is to take the paper gooseneck gasket and smear it up
with grease.  Any type will do.  Let it soak it up and swell as much as possible before installing.  It will seal better, and come time to get at that
thermostat, the gasket will not stick to the gooseneck or crossover.  You can reuse it over and over and over.  Works good for the other "water"
gaskets, but since the T-stat is a fairly common point of work, I really like this trick.  No peeling of the old gasket in 100 little pieces, no having
to run to get another one or make on from card stock.  Just back those two bolts off and it comes apart nice and clean and goes right back in
without a fuss.  :-)

  B.