[FWDLK] Decoding tires

Howdy Guys and Gals,

Back in the early 70's I was a service manager at a motorcycle shop.  I was then that the U.S.  DOT started requiring the tractability of tires. For every tire we sold we sent in a post card with buyer's name & address to the tire manufacturer.  I don't recall any codes before that?

Mike
57 DeSoto Fireflite
76 Dodge Warlock
94 Dodge 4WD 2500 V-10
04 Dodge 4WD 2500 5.7 Hemi
05 Dodge Magnum RT
11 Dodge Durango
11 Dodge Challenger SRT8 - Fun WOW

Thanks guys for all the responses.  I have e mailed Good Year inquiring about the tire code. Waiting for a response. In the meantime here are the numbers stamped on the side wall: 7A9M423. Something to mull over.
It's not that I intend to use this spare, but would like it for bragging rights!!!   Don from Canada

Mike Singer
Phone:  814-486-1881 Work
Fax:    814-486-2080
e-mail: desoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx