Re: [FWDLK] interesting POWERFLITE VS TOURQUEFLITE

Re: [FWDLK] interesting POWERFLITE VS TOURQUEFLITE

Guys,

            I totally agree with you on the Torqueflite over the Powerflite if you are talking gas mileage and highway driving and keeping the RPM down.
            However forget that trophy winning on the drag strip if you come up against a Powerflite with a 3.73 or 3.91 rear end,  with the same horsepower as your car, because he will not only jump you off the starting line but he will also wind his engine up to 5,000 to 5500 RPM's before he shifts into drive gear --------------which will be a smooth power up shift 50 feet before the end of the quarter mile. Myself and other 56 Fury owners which all came standard with 3.73 rear end gears would have no trouble being quicker then most 57 & 58 Furys with two fours or Belvederes with single 4 bbl carb when it came to the starting line in a 1/4 mile drag race, because they had either 3.31 or 3.36 standard rear gears stock from the factory. Also none of the  58 Fury's or  Belvedere with the 350 Golden Commando would run faster than 318 cars with one four or with two fours if it had a Powerflite and 3.73 or 3.91 or 4.10 rear gears.  ( however 90% of the Mopars at the drag strip back in the 50's did not change the rear end gear ratio and roughly 60 % of the Chevy and Ford guy  at the drag strip did change their rear end gears)
          The extra shift in the middle of quarter mile slowed the three speed cars down WHEN THEY SHIFTED INTO SECOND the performance dropped with the drop in RPM.
Not to change the subject but the Chevy Powerglide 2 speed were faster than the 3 speed automating cars also for the same reason.
            One of my best friends has a 57 Fury V 800 and he could never get close to my 56 in the quarter mile. So he got pissed off and took the 2/4 bbl carbs off and put on a single 4 bbl carb and changed the rear end to a 4.10 ratio.
            With more experience on the drag strip I could jump him a little off the starting line and beat him but he would run right along side of me most of the time and if I was just a little slow coming of the starting line he would beat me in the quarter mile. Wow, it is really fun when two cars run that close in a drag race.

     The downside of the 56 Fury's or any Mopar with Powerflite and a 373 rear end is at 60 MPH your tachometer is reading almost 3000 RPM's going down the highway.

  Ron Swartley