From: John Hagen [mailto:sprinthag@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, June 29, 2013 2:51 PM
To: 'debenson2'
Subject: RE: [FWDLK] rear brake shoes and arching them

Well I never had to replace any of those tranny mounted parking brakes but I think it would be a good idea. Those dang things often didn’t hold all that well until they were “burnished” in. I did this by GENTLY applying the parking brake while driving forward slowly. And I mean gently as you sure as hell don’t want to lock them up or, more likely, overheat them. It’s the sort of thing you do a few days in a row for short distances. You test them by going to a hill somewhere and applying the parking brake while sitting in the car to be sure it holds. Once it does you are finished.

Do you need the drums when arcing the service brakes? Well you need to be able to measure them (you can’t go by the fact that you have an 11 or 12 inch drum, you need the actual measurement) and then to test fit the shoes after arcing so, yes, you do. There are special tools for measuring brake shoe diameter that are simple to use. You don’t need an inside micrometer here; we’re not building a watch.

John Hagen