From: "Rimington, Kenneth" <ken.rimington@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, June 4, 2015 9:23 AM
Subject: [FWDLK] Prep for painting

This is a bit of a narrative, sorry, but I have a few concerns with prepping my 56 Dodge Custom Royal for paint.  The body is off frame now, so there is considerable latitude to address the issues.  I am not doing a strict concurs restoration, but, standing off, I do not want the enhancements to be apparent.

  1. Inner/outer fenders – in ’56 the inner and outer fenders are not lined. Modern cars have a poly liner to protect from road debris. I am thinking of rolling on a bedliner on the inside of the fenders on top of epoxy primer.  This will allow for the undercoating type of protection and provide a paintable surface so body color paint can be applied like was done at the factory.  Is this a good idea? Any tips on getting the bedliner to go on approximately smooth.
  2. Hood – In ’56, for the most part, hoods were unlined allowing engine heat to cook the paint.  In the 60’s, a fiber mat was added for insulation from engine heat.  In the 70’s aluminum foil was added to reflect the heat in addition to the fiber mat.  I would like to add heat protection for the hood paint.  Would the bedliner painted body color idea from the fenders work?  Any ideas on making it look good?
  3. Trunk lid – the asphalt mat between the lid frame and skin on my car was deteriorated  beyond repair, so I slid it out of the trunk lid in chunks.  The trunk interior was painted Dodge dull gray, including the rotted mat.  The mat allowed the skin and frame to expand and contract without binding and provided anti-rattle protection.  I am planning on painting the trunk lid body color (much better than dull gray J) and after painting, I plan on masking the frame ribs and skin and injecting Black Max gasket silicone between the skin and frame and tooling it smooth.  When the masking is removed, a smooth thin black line will be visible between the skin and frame.  Will this cause binding/warping and will this provide anti-rattle protection?

Sorry for all the questions, but thanks for the help.

Kenneth G. Rimington

ken.rimington@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx     (435) 863-6592

Notice: This e-mail is intended solely for use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is proprietary, privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader is not the intended recipient or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. This communication may also contain data subject to U.S. export laws. If so, that data subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulation cannot be disseminated, distributed or copied to foreign nationals, residing in the U.S. or abroad, absent the express prior approval of the U.S. Department of State. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy the e-mail message and any physical copies made of the communication. Thank you.