Re: [FWDLK] 1959 Coronet Brake Issue

If the brake hoses are original, I can’t imagine that they wouldn’t be perished internally. The mechanic really should have caught that if he replaced the master cylinder. Replace the three brake hoses, bleed the system, and you should be good to go.

David

From: Forward Look Mopar Discussion List [mailto:L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Larry Ashbaugh
Sent: Tuesday, May 2, 2017 12:22 AM
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [FWDLK] 1959 Coronet Brake Issue

I was driving my 59 Coronet back from the mechanic's shop on Friday and got quite a surprise.  Although the mechanic had repaired some wiring, adjusted the emergency brake, replaced the master cylinder, and had checked the brake lines, cylinders and shoes, he had not driven the car on the road.

When I touched the brakes at a moderate pressure, it tried to make a 90 degree left turn, stalled the motor and hesitated to release the brake pressure until I added a great deal of gas pedal.  Since I was timing the lights for the 3-mile journey, after I got it re-started (with the help of another battery I brought as I assumed the one in the car would be low on charge), I made it almost home, but it happened again when I pulled into the driveway, jerking the steering wheel out of my hand.

My diagnosis is that the brake hoses are collapsing (right front totally collapsed, left front collapsing when pressure is applied and sticking until overcome with acceleration).  That is what the mechanic echoed.

Does this sound reasonable?  I assume the rubber lines are original...  Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Larry (Akron)