Re: [FWDLK] 1958 Plymouth tip of the day

It's a pain in the neck, but you could get around this problem by wiring in power transistors into the line to prevent any back current from flowing where you don't want it to go. Getting LED's that have these transistors already built in would be a better idea though so you don't have to cut up your wiring harness.

Nathan

On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 6:09 PM Dan Morton <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thassit!  You are right, Lou.

Left and right *are* wired together - through the running lights, although not the turn signal lights.  But when the turn signal current crosses internally to the running light circuit (because the running light leds are also shared in LED 1157 with the turn signal leds), the flashing current passes to running lights on the other side.

Well, I’ve learned something new today.  The only way to get around this, is to come up with bulbs that don’t share LED elements between turn signals and running lights.  Now I’ll watch the rest of that video and see how it works out.  Don’t spoil the ending for me!

From: Forward Look Mopar Discussion List <L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Lou Vee
Sent: Monday, February 8, 2021 5:31 PM
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] 1958 Plymouth tip of the day

Here is another video indicating that when power is applied to one terminal of an LED 1157 bulb, the OTHER terminal will EMIT power (which then goes back down the wiring harness toward the turn signal switch, headlight switch, etc).  So if the car's wiring circuit/switching is not designed for that situation, who knows what can happen?  Maybe the current is following a path in the switch that has two contacts connected that would normally be assumed to be dead when the switch is in the other position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_x8hhbYxSA